Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steps to build Coppermine archive and integration  (Read 6911 times)

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
Steps to build Coppermine archive and integration
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »

I run a club website (www.yrc.org.uk) this is hosted on a CMS which 'does what we need' but doesn't support things like bulletin boards and, critically, the image galley is not appropriate for the digital archive of images I want to create.

I am looking at using Coppermine to ‘run’ the digital archive, but thinking longer term I will almost certainly the main website onto a Joomla CMS in the next 12 months at which point I would want to bridge the 2 systems (or more if I run a BBS too which would be phpBB 3 if there isn't one native in Joomla) as well as use the Joomla “Image Module for Coppermine Photo Gallery”.

My question therefore is what should I do now so that it is ready to work with Joomla in the future.  From the forums etc I think what I need to do is:
1.   Install Coppermine
2.   Install Joomla (probably using the 1and1 one-click joomla install) and enable bridging
3.   Install bridge (I’m confused here as the only one I can find is the Mehdi bridge for Joomla which there seem to be reservations about) is a bridge necessaryu with the Image Module
4.   Start using Coppermine

When ready build and enable new site in Joomla

I think this approach would ensure as & when I am ready to move the site to Joomla it will work with coppermine.

Is this right? 

Thank you

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Steps to build Coppermine archive and integration
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 02:17:53 pm »

Correct. After you have Joomla and Coppermine running you have to bridge Coppermine (with the help of mehdi's bridge) with Joomla, so Coppermine uses the user database of Joomla.

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 03:01:50 pm »

Thanks, so there are no issues with that bridge?  There was a cautionary comment in the documentation I read suggesting it didn't play nice!  Or is it a case that the only bridge is that one so live with it ?:-)

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

I don't know mehdi's bridge. We cannot support any user contributed content, so you have to ask mehdi about his bridge.

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:27 pm »

Ok, It was just that in the bridging documentation (http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/bridging.htm) it says "However, there are bridge files contributed by third parties that don't work in the unobstrusive manner that we propose (like the Mehdi bridge for Joomla). "

Two final questions. 
1.  As I am starting from scratch do I need to add users to both systems before I bridge or can I just add to Coppermine & then the bridge will automatically populate in Joomla or visa versa.
2.  Once a bridge is set up can you still log in directly to Coppermine without using Joomla or are you then tied to alway entering via Joomla?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 04:22:12 pm »

1. When you apply the bridge, Coppermine only uses the Joomla user database (as I already said)
2. You'll be automatically redirected to the Joomla login form when you want to login from Coppermine

olaeblue

• Contributor
  • Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:05 pm »

Thank you

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »

you can tag your answer as "solved" by clicking on the little image in your initial posting on your thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.