Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Admin Tools/Thumbnails  (Read 9118 times)

candishop

• Coppermine newbie
Problem with Admin Tools/Thumbnails
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:32 pm »

Hey guys :)
After frustration and searching on these boards and my hosts forum i still havent had any luck with my gallery.

www.candicemichellephotos.com

So i upgraded the gallery. Everything is fine and i went to update my thumbnail etc via Admin Tools and spent awhile going through 38885 photos and now some of my albums are just red x's and some of them are only halfway showing up (probably over 20,000). I dont know whats going on. The message is like Error Creating: album/nameofallbum here etc etc
My permissions are correct. 777/755 ive tried both. And ive set the actual files to those as well. Ive also tried using Imagemagik and GD2. Ive tried deleting the thumbnails via ftp and trying to recreate and  i still get the same message

ive attached a screenshot of the error im getting

Any help would be appreciated. I really dont wanna readd all these photos so hopefully there is a solution. I know another person at my host is having the exact same problem she said.

xo
alicia

candishop

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Problem with Admin Tools/Thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:19:35 am »

anything? im still having the issue and ive tried it all. i thought about doing a gallery restore but im just gonna have to upgrade again and still want to update thumbnails and im sure the same thing will happen

i know other people are having the same problem with the new coppermine.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 02:23:26 pm »

It certainly looks like a permissions problem. Try getting your host to look at the ownership of the files ( chown ) an to make sure they are in a group that the script has write permissions for.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

candishop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:22:27 am »

everything seems fine there. my host even tried to restore it/reupgrade etc and its still doing it. i really dont wanna reupload that many photos. i dont GET what the problem is

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:15:00 pm »

It can only be permissions or the script timing out. Run admin tools processing less images at a time and check the server logs if you get errors noting the time they occur.

candishop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:23:45 pm »

tried with just 1 or 2 pics and its still giving me that error

ERROR creating: albums/

permissions are all right

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:02:02 pm »

I am 100% certain that if you check the eror logs on the server it will tell you the script cannot write to those directories. If it is working for some files and not for others it cannot be anything else. Speak to your host once more and get them to check the ownership of all those folders and chown the albums folder (making sure they use the -R recursive switch) to a user that the script will have write permissions for. Point them to this thread if required.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 12:27:17 pm »

It only throws errors on thumbnails. I also think there's a permission problem.

candishop

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »

still no fix. everything was checked on host's end and mine. she even tried reupgrading me :( This is CRAPPY. Is there a way to delete all the thumbnails from ftp/gallery without doing album by album?

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:22:47 pm »

Just delete all files with the thumbnail prefix ('thumb_' by default) either via PHP script or an appropriate ftp client.

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 07:05:28 pm »

Yes, you can do as Andre suggests. However, I think you need to speak to someone at your hosting company with a little more knowledge. As I previously stated, the reson the script cannot write to those files it because of a permissions problem. This is not on the coppermine side, but on a server/filesystem level. What has probably happened is that at some time either you have uploaded files by ftp or your host has restored from a backup or for some reasone permissions have changed. When this occurs and depending on how those files were written apache assigns the ownership of those files to a specific group. Depending on the security settings and the way apache is configured you may find that even setting those files to 777 will not give the script adequate permission to write to those files. You may even find that your ftp package cannot write to those files but hopefully that will not be the case. Either way, it is very simple for someone with a little knowledge at your host to fix. They simply need to change the ownership of all files in the albums directory to something that the script will have permissions to write to. for instance (and this is an example of the command on my machine, it will vary on your hosts system) - chown -R www-data.www-data /cpg/albums

Re-upgrading coppermine will not help in any way with this problem. While Andre proposes a quick fix it is better IMO to learn the correct and simpler way to do this. If you encounter the same problem in the future you will be well armed to rapidly fix it. You may also find you have many sub-directories to go through when deleting all the _thumb files which may take a lot of effort. SImply changing the file permissions/ownership takes seconds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.