Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Size Image Does Not Display Full Size  (Read 18985 times)

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
Full Size Image Does Not Display Full Size
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:23 am »

Hi Folks,

RE: Coppermine V1.5.6

Clicking on an intermediate picture (which is the correct size - 600 pix wide) does indeed display the full size pop-up window, however the image in the pop-up window also appears to be 600 pix wide. That is not all - clicking an intermediate image with an original that I know to be 1600x1200 will also produce a pop-up window with another image size that is neither 600 nor the full size image.

I have searched the forum, and Google and not found an answer to what superficially seems to be a simple problem.
I believe my config settings are correct and I have not changed them however something DID change abrubtly while I was adding new images - what I do not know.

I have also checked the template code and nothing seems to be amiss and looked at the following thread, which is old actually and not relevant to the version I am running.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/faq.htm#noFullsizePopup

I am not missing any files either, to my knowledge,

That is a testing Wamp test site. Wamp is well configured and Coppermine installed well and mostly runs almost perfect.

There are no errors to report regarding the above problem.

Thanks in advance

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Full Size Image Does Not Display Full Size
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:26:19 am »

Clicking on an intermediate picture (which is the correct size - 600 pix wide) does indeed display the full size pop-up window, however the image in the pop-up window also appears to be 600 pix wide. That is not all - clicking an intermediate image with an original that I know to be 1600x1200 will also produce a pop-up window with another image size that is neither 600 nor the full size image.
Can't replicate - http://soundscapes.mine.nu/displayimage.php?pid=12 (which is what I picked randomly, as you failed to provide an actual example) embeds an image (http://soundscapes.mine.nu/albums/userpics/10001/normal_1-3D-Robots-1600x1000.jpg that is 600 x 375 pixels wide), which is expected behaviour. When clicking on that embedded image, a full-size pop up shows with the URL http://soundscapes.mine.nu/displayimage.php?pid=12&fullsize=1 that embedds the image http://soundscapes.mine.nu/albums/userpics/10001/1-3D-Robots-1600x1000.jpg that is 1600 x 1000 pixels wide, but that is scaled down to 1049 x 656 on my screen (which is a browser feature).
With this being said: are you sure that you're not trying to report a feature in your browser here? Please let us know what screen resolution you run at and what your client operating system and browser are.

I believe my config settings are correct and I have not changed them however something DID change abrubtly while I was adding new images - what I do not know.
There's a way to tell for sure, with the magic word being "screenshot".

I have also checked the template code and nothing seems to be amiss
Really? You must be an expert.

looked at the following thread, which is old actually and not relevant to the version I am running.

http://coppermine-gallery.net/demo/cpg14x/docs/faq.htm#noFullsizePopup
Not a thread. The word "thread" refers to forum postings or similar media (newsgroups etc.)

That is a testing Wamp test site. Wamp is well configured
That's a contradiction in terms ;D

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:31:01 am »

Please enable 'Insert a transparent overlay to minimize image theft' in Coppermine's config and test again.

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:58:56 am »

Thank you Andre,

adding a transparent overlay does indeed cause the images to be displayed at their correct size/ resolution.

This can be seen by looking at the following Space gallery where all original images are 1600x1200:

http://soundscapes.mine.nu/displayimage.php?pid=82

Ok so that works, but does that mean I must simply just use the overlay all the time, or is it an indicator as to where the problem may be?

PS: I have checked the "albums/userpics" folder and the three relevant file sizes are all present and correct as follows:

3-Venus-1600x1200 (the original uploaded pic)
normal_3-Venus-1600x1200 (the intermediate pic @ 600x450 pixels - my chosen setting)
thumb_3-Venus-1600x1200 (the thumbnail @ 200x150 pixels - my chosen setting)

The same applies for all other pics in the entire gallery/database although the original resolutions may differ.

Best wishes.

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 09:09:12 am »

Ermm,

sorry guys for posting my own follow up to a thread, my German Sherherd is pestering me for his supper and he is too big to ignore - as a result I forgot to add that while the overlay solves the problem it would not be desirable to use as I wish my future users to have free access to download all and any image.

Thanks (and opps sorry) again

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 09:28:32 am »

The transparent overlay breaks the auto scaling functionality of your browser. You have 2 options now:
1. Enable transparent overlay and adding a download button below your picture
2. Disable transparent overlay and modify Coppermine's code to always break the auto scaling functionality of your user's browsers

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:57:45 am »

Thank you once again Andre - the correct, quick, and clear answer.

I would consider Option #1 but there is the problem that, while I prefer to offer users the "real" full size image for them to see, some of the images I have yet to upload are over 5,000 wide and 3,000 high for multi monitor displays (I already have these uploaded and in use on my .com wallpaper site which I expect to replace with Coppermine Gallery for it's excellent funtionality and options).

I expect it would be annoying for users to scroll down large images each time to search for the download button - On my .com site they simply right click the full size image and download directly.

Option #2 would be the better option it seems, although the most difficult perhaps. I already know how to do this in php within php files - example for the very same image we discussed above from my .com site:

<a href="/view.php?title=Venus - Full View In Accented Colors - 1600x1200&amp;pic=/Galleries-Single/Space/Venus/3-Venus-1600x1200.jpg&amp;onclic=javascript:history.back()"></a>

Left clicking on a thumbnail or intermediate image with that code opens a new "full size" maximized window (view.php) at the same resolution as the relevant picture being displayed at "full size" - eg: the full size image and window are the same size - no white space. Right click for download, left click to return to the thumbnail. (That code is NOT Coppermine, it is my own, for anyone else reading this thread, but anyone is welcome to use it if it works for them).

So my remaining question will be, can I use such code as I have pasted above, or do you have another more eloquent code option at hand that would basically do the same (and roughly where to paste it) that is compatible with Coppermine? And to be respectful of course, I hope I am not asking too much.

Ok, well, only remains to say that we (well, you really, hehe) have pretty much wrapped this one up, should we put "Solved" in the header so that if other people find the same problem they can find the answers here ?

Best wishes and many thanks Andre, and to all the devs - Coppermine is a most excellent gallery software. Very nice coding indeed.

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 11:12:25 am »

I would consider Option #1 but there is the problem that [..] I expect it would be annoying for users to scroll down large images each time to search for the download button
The place it above the image ;) But when I read your text it sounds like you prefer option #2? Am I right?

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:16 pm »

Have you tried this plugin?

Big Pop-ups

jmmc

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 10:50:41 pm »

The transparent overlay breaks the auto scaling functionality of your browser. You have 2 options now:
2. Disable transparent overlay and modify Coppermine's code to always break the auto scaling functionality of your user's browsers

Is there a tutorial explaining how to do that, please? :'(
Thanks!

phill104

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
    • Windsurf.me
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 11:03:28 pm »

Yes, it is in the docs - http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/plugins.htm#plugin_manager

Please start your own threads rather than hijacking others. It helps us and users to follow things easier.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

jmmc

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »

Yes, it is in the docs - http://documentation.coppermine-gallery.net/en/plugins.htm#plugin_manager

Please start your own threads rather than hijacking others. It helps us and users to follow things easier.

Oh, sorry. I created my own thread though: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,66160.0.html but then I was searching for what I asked on my last post there and since André said this was discussed many times before.

So to modify Coppermine's code to always break the auto scaling functionality of your user's browsers there's a plugin, right?  ???
Since the link you posted explains how to work with plugins.

Thanks so much in advance and sorry for taking your time with this!!

jmmc

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:26:20 pm »

Edit: Couldn't edit the other post sorry, I just saw the reply you made to my post on the "Big Pop-Up Images (no resize for fullsize) v1.0" thread on the plugins section. I guess you were refering to that here aswell, then?! Thank you!

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 10:30:04 am »

Coppermine V1.5.6

Thanks for everyones input, sorry I was not able to answer sooner as work called me out on location.

However I solved the problem in my previous posts by doing the following:

Look for the file "themes.inc.php" in the folder "includes"

at around line 4145 you will find this line:

<script type="text/javascript" src="js/displayimage.fullsize.js">

Now comment out that line (dont delete it - you might need it in the future) like this:

<!-- <script type="text/javascript" src="js/displayimage.fullsize.js"></script> -->

Save that file and see what happens when you click on an intermediate picture to open a full size picture which can be downloaded by right clicking and "Save Image as..." and closed by a left click.

A full size image will open indeed, but the browser is still not quite 100% maximized if you look at the top right corner of your brower the icon is a single box on IE browsers (not the double box icon for a fully maximized window) however, the picture itself is indeed full size.

Anyways, this works for me and I am using that and not noticed any adverse effects, no problems, and nothing else appears to be affected by commenting out that line of code.

Here is a link to click on to see for yourselves:

http://desktopro.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=36&pid=1026#top_display_media

Best wishes to all.

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 11:06:19 am »

PS. RE MAX IMAGE POP UP

You do not need to use "transparent overlays" to achieve full size image viewing - so do make sure in Admin config that "transparent overlays" is NOT activated, and then comment out that line as mentioned in my previous post. Then check the results.

It should also not be necessary to use plug-ins to achieve a full size image pop-up in a new maximized browser window - all browsers already support that and have done so for years.

Also a final hint to everyone trying this or any other hacks... Add an identifier to your hacks as a comment - for example:

<!-- MODS BY ME -->  for html code
// MODS BY ME           for php code
/* MOD BY ME */        for CSS code

This makes your changes easy to find in the future if something is not working well (simply search and find "MODS BY ME" in whatever editor you are using).

Good Luck Dudes

Joe Carver

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka 'i-imagine'
    • Home Page
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 12:16:32 pm »

Look for the file "themes.inc.php" in the folder "includes"

Editing themes.inc,php is not recommended for any desired changes. Your suggestion is not what people should do.

Any theme related edits should be done with the code available in themes/sample/theme.php. Read your docs.

By the way...I would guess that IE has scollbars when you open the pic.....

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 01:35:57 pm »

Yes, of course the window has scroll bars, without them it would be impossible to see the whole image.

What is happening here is some confusion over what "full size" really means. I have just spent about 3 hours on the search and I can see that just about everyone who is working with image galleries has the same and similar problems, so I have broken down what I can see into 2 definitions:

#1 - A full size pop-up window that displays an image the maximum size possible within that window WITHOUT scroll bars.
Example: An image 3,000 pixels wide by 1,500 pixels high is NOT really shown full size, it is only shown the maximum size possible dictated by the users screen resolution within the "full-size" browser window. People can not see the real quality of the image because this is a "re-sized" image.

#2 - A full size pop-up image displays the image at real full size and the pop-up window adjusts to the image size WITH scroll bars.
Example - An image 3,000 pixels wide by 1,500 pixels high is huge and is way off screen, however the image can be scrolled and viewed and downloaded. People can see the real quality of the image because it really is displayed its maximum size REGARDLESS of users screen resolution, and they are seeing it "as is".

I use option #2, have done for years, and it needs only 3 lines of php/java code and works with all browsers, all images, and all screen resolutions.

So perhaps to resolve this we would need to clearly identify just what a "full size pop-up window" or "full size pop-up image" really means, and which of the two styles of pop-up the people would prefer to use.

I will happily paste my current code here for solution #2 because it really is so simple - You click on a thumbnail which displays a full size image. Click on the full size image and you return to the thumbnail. Easy! However out in the forums on the internet I have seen heaps of complicated coding that just do not work across all browsers or all resolutions, are unreliable and do not seem to be what people want.

Anyways, FullBest wishes all - and happy headaches  ::) size image or full size window - What do people want?

JUSTINTIME

• Coppermine novice
Solved - Re: Full Size Image Does Not Display Full Size
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 01:27:10 am »

Coppermine - V1.5.6

Just a thought before I close this thread, it would seem to be easy enough to give admin a "toggle" to choose between offering "full size" images or "full size window".

Full size image is extremely easy, but full size window with re-sized image is a bit more complex, but it appears most of the work has already been done.

That then would solve the issue, however the wording in Coppermine documentation, admin, language, etc really needs to be changed as it is misleading and incorrect.

At every admin and user option/selection interface the words "Click To View Full Sized Image" are being used - this is clearly wrong and misleading - what Coppermine is currently displaying is a full size window containing a re-sized image - users may be misguided to think that they are indeed viewing the full sized image when clearly they are not.

I really do want my users to see the full size image, even if its 10,000 pixels wide by 5,000 high - they can scroll around and enjoy the stunning detail.

Perhaps other admins/owners may not have such good quality pictures, so they should choose the option "full size window" but they should at least make it clear to the viewers that what they are seeing is NOT the full sized image - it is just a resized image enlarged to fit the browser at full screen.

Anyways, this is not meant as critisizm, just a pointer that caught me out after installing Coppermine, when I could not see any of my uploaded pictures at "full-size" as the software states - hence this forum post.

So, a simple toggle option for admin or even perhaps also for the users is my suggestion.

Best wishes everyone

anjutka

• Coppermine newbie
  • :o)
    • football betting tipsters
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 06:13:17 pm »

:)
football betting tipsters
football tipsters
football betting tipster
football tipster
soccer tipping
soccer prediction

Αndré

• Administrator
  • Coppermine addict
Re: Solved - Re: Full Size Image Does Not Display Full Size
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 02:44:51 pm »

Just a thought before I close this thread, it would seem to be easy enough to give admin a "toggle" to choose between offering "full size" images or "full size window".
[..]
So, a simple toggle option for admin or even perhaps also for the users is my suggestion.
We cannot implement that option in cpg1.5.x, as we don't have the needed language string. We only can add a new config value to the database that can be toggled manually or with the help of a plugin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.