Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving CPG files to a new directory  (Read 4629 times)

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
Moving CPG files to a new directory
« on: March 30, 2010, 08:22:19 am »

Running CPG 1.4.26. When I originally installed CPG I created a directory called coppermine in my root directory. I installed and configured CPG there, added themes, uploaded images, installed plugins and have been trying different configurations and themes just to try and get to know how to work with CPG. A lot to learn but I'm enjoying the experience. :)

Everything is working fine with my installation but I would like to move my CPG files to a new directory on my web hosting server. I have checked out the FAQ but it only mentions how to move CPG from one server to a another as far as I can tell. I did a search for methods to move from one directory to another but only came up with this one: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,61421.msg304735.html#msg304735.

I can use my FTP client to create the new directory and copy the existing CPG files to it. I know that I have to change the path to the new directory in my CPG configuration and any links pointing to the old directory. I've looked at most of the template and php files and there doesn't appear to be anything there that needs to be changed to point to the new directory. Will there be any issues with links to my database if I move the CPG contents to a new directory? Am I following the right procedure to move the files?

Thanks for any assistance.

Site URL: http://www.unclealice.com/coppermine/index.php
Rick Wickert
If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Moving CPG files to a new directory
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 08:58:25 am »

Try Moving your gallery - has been written for cpg1.5.x, but applies to cpg1.4.x just as well. You don't need to copy a new folder and move the files from one folder to the other. Instead, just rename the folder and reflect the renaming by changing Coppermine's URL in Coppermine's config. And while you're at it: give your gallery a name in the corresponding config field - this will (among other things) populate the title tag in each gallery output page, which will be an advantage both visually as well as in terms of search engine friendliness.

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41:47 am »

Thanks for the reply. I stupidly didn't include cpg1.5x in my search; just cpg1.4x. I'll learn to do more thorough searches in the future! As I read your link about moving I suddenly remembered I had seen that  before when I was investigating CPG before trying it again. Most of my questions were answered there. Sounds like re-naming the directory is the way to go. Since my gallery is very new I don't think it will cause much trouble with search engine issues yet. I'll try and go back into my posts to these forums and include the new URL if that would be helpful to anyone else reading them.

One question about entering a gallery name. I've substituted my own graphics for the two themes I've been experimenting with. I've incorporated a gallery name into them. Won't adding a Gallery Name entry in the Config section cause it to show on the page as text over the top of my graphic?
Rick Wickert

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:52 am »

One question about entering a gallery name. I've substituted my own graphics for the two themes I've been experimenting with. I've incorporated a gallery name into them. Won't adding a Gallery Name entry in the Config section cause it to show on the page as text over the top of my graphic?
No, not necessarilly. The gallery name doesn't have to show up on your custom theme - just removing the placeholder token from the template is all it takes. You already did so - http://www.unclealice.com/coppermine/themes/blackbirch/template.html doesn't contain the placeholder token {GAL_NAME}. Read up details on the theming section of the docs. However, this is not related to your initial question and therefore should not be discussed in this thread (we have a strict "one issue per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up).

Thanks for the reply. I stupidly didn't include cpg1.5x in my search; just cpg1.4x. I'll learn to do more thorough searches in the future! As I read your link about moving I suddenly remembered I had seen that  before when I was investigating CPG before trying it again. Most of my questions were answered there. Sounds like re-naming the directory is the way to go.
Then please do as suggested: Common policies: Resolve your threads

Since my gallery is very new I don't think it will cause much trouble with search engine issues yet. I'll try and go back into my posts to these forums and include the new URL if that would be helpful to anyone else reading them.
A simple redirect inside your .htaccess file will take care of that. Google for "redirect permanent htaccess" or similar.

Desert Rider

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:05:31 pm »

No, not necessarilly. The gallery name doesn't have to show up on your custom theme - just removing the placeholder token from the template is all it takes. You already did so - http://www.unclealice.com/coppermine/themes/blackbirch/template.html doesn't contain the placeholder token {GAL_NAME}. Read up details on the theming section of the docs.
Thanks for the clarification and I'll study the theming section of the docs. I do, however, disagree with you regarding:
However, this is not related to your initial question and therefore should not be discussed in this thread (we have a strict "one issue per thread" policy that you agreed to respect when signing up).
My question was in response to this portion of your original reply:
[snip]
And while you're at it: give your gallery a name in the corresponding config field - this will (among other things) populate the title tag in each gallery output page, which will be an advantage both visually as well as in terms of search engine friendliness.
You supplied additional information, not related to my initial question, that I was responding to. It seemed to me that a continuation of the discussion in this thread, in order to clearly understand your statement, was appropriate and did not require a new topic posting.

I certainly appreciate the time you and others take to respond to questions in this forum and fully understand the necessity of strict rules and guidelines in order to efficiently provide answers and maintain order. I'll now mark this topic as solved.
Rick Wickert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.