How is this a feature request? I'm moving this to the General Discussions - No Support board
The reasons have been stated numerous times. You could always try the search facility
There are a huge number of reasons why we ask and they are all there to help you. the user. We are not asking for our beefit or to just be a pain. Every support thread is different and it is much easier to deal with if we see the live version.
Here are a few examples.
- A user asks us how to change a text size or colour. They usually fail to tell us any more information such as what theme they are using so we then have to ask. If they post a link in the first place as per the board rules they get a much quicker response. It also means we can just look at their page and their and advise accordingly. We may not have the particulat theme they was editing and without a link we would have to waste a lot more time and effort installing it just for a minor change that would take 5 seconds otherwise.
- A user is having trouble with a plugin and it just won't play ball. With a link we can often see if they have any other plugins or are using a version not compatible with their version of coppermine. We can then look into the plugin and see if it need upgrading
- We can see if a user is using an outdated version of coppermine and needs upgrading
- There are companies out there that in my opinion are not playing the game and trying to sell their versions of coppermine for a fee. In my opinion this is unfair to us and the end users. We cannot support that code as these companies usually change it and we cannot see exactly what they have done. And why should we support what are in my opinion ripped off copies of our software. In these cases we can advise the user to upgrade to a genuine copy from here and then provide them with the support they deserve.
- Some users run into upload problems and with a link and their coppermine setup as per the docs we can very quickly determine the root of the problem. We can often see who their host is too and sometimes we know ways to get around limitation that a particular host may impose
- There are times when a link cannot be posted as the users install is on localhost so not open to the world. In those cases support can only be generic. Ever tried doing a jigsaw in the dark?
They are just a few examples of why we ask. There are literally hundreds of examples in these forums as to how a link would have save a lot of effort both sides. We have been doing this for a long time with tens of thousands of hours support experience between us so we do know what we are doing.
We also think it is a little impolite not to do as asked when you are getting a free product and free support from a community that do this as a hobby in their spare time. So if you don't want to post a link then you cannot expect us to go the extra mile to support you.