Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Download pic to phone - free service  (Read 13794 times)

julala

• Contributor
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • Smileonthetiles
Download pic to phone - free service
« on: December 18, 2008, 04:32:02 pm »

I did a search and didn't find anything relating to this service so I thought I'd post this for others.

It really probably should be in mods but as I can't post in there it will have to go here or be moved.

I've been using Pix2fone on my coppermine installation for some time and it seems to work absolutely great.  Just a matter of copying and pasting a small bit of code into the template.htm in the theme and every image in the gallery can be easily downloaded to a web-enabled mobile.  Uses wap technology rather than sms so there is no direct charge (accept data charges if you pay for them).

We came about using this because our customers wanted the facility to download to mobile but we have had such bad experiences with sms companies in the past that we really not keen to pursue the sms route.  This gives our customers the facility to download to mobile without the headache for us.  Just hope it stays free.

http://www.pix2fone.com/webmasters.php

Enjoy and Happy Christmas. ;D

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Download pic to phone - free service
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:35 am »

Moving accordingly.
How do they finance their services? The demo page doesn't work for me - Alt-Click doesn't do anything for me (I'm on Linux with FF3, so maybe the reason is my exotic OS). However, mobile services gateways charge fees. How can they offer their services free of charge?
As far as I can see, they offer a browser extension for IE and FF, so everybody should carefully consider wether you're going to promote third-party services that are potentially dangerous.

julala

• Contributor
  • Coppermine regular visitor
    • Smileonthetiles
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:20:24 am »

They do offer a browser plugin but that is not what I am using.  For webmasters there is a simple line of code they offer to put on your webpage - the link I provided was to the relevant part of their service. 

http://www.pix2fone.com/webmasters.php

It doesn't use an sms gateway - this is just wap.  So this is not using a mobile gateway service in the normal sense of the word - I believe they do offer other sms services like ringtones so I am guessing that is what funds them. 

here is what they say:

The best things in life are free. Your site visitors will appreciate free extra service - an option to save pictures from your web pages to their mobile phones. It doesn't take any special skills or server requirements to add Pix2Fone service to your site. Just copy/paste the following line of HTML code:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://mms4.com/p2ff.js"></script>

between your page <head> tags. That's all, we handle the rest. Let your visitors know that now they can save pictures from your website as free mobile phone wallpapers. They don't need to install anything. A simple Alt-Clickpress the 'Alt' key on your keyboard and click on the picture with your mouse on any photo (JPG) image will send the picture to free Pix2Fone service

Pix2Fone is and will remain freeware. We look forward for your feedback, questions and opinions to improve Pix2Fone. Please feel free to drop us a line or skype us at "pix2fone". Thanks to everybody for all the greetings, support and ideas and it's great to see so many people all around the world are using our service.

It works fine on all computers I have tried it on and seems to be working well for our customers too.

As far as I can see (and we've been using this for about 8 months now)  there are no potential threats in using this particular service whatsoever.....apart from them deciding not to offer it for free anymore at some point or change the service in some way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:29:39 am by julala »

mathiastheok

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 08:15:07 am »

On a side note, most of the marketing "think tanks" and such predict a massive increase in mobile phones being used in place of PC's as the network infrastructure and individual phones themselves increase in capability.

My good friend's 14yo daughter and her friends regard e-mail as "old fashioned" replaced by texting.

(How many kids you see buried in their phones texting back a forth everywhere you go ::))
NEVER! Let a computer see you in a hurry.

jimm1909

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 10:36:14 pm »

On a side note, most of the marketing "think tanks" and such predict a massive increase in mobile phones being used in place of PC's as the network infrastructure and individual phones themselves increase in capability.

My good friend's 14yo daughter and her friends regard e-mail as "old fashioned" replaced by texting.

(How many kids you see buried in their phones texting back a forth everywhere you go ::))

Haha this is a great point.  My son and his friends text all the time, its like they don't even want to interact any other way!

-jim
Jim Mason - Telephone Service Engineer and Installation Expert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.