Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: project: theme for iPhone  (Read 12206 times)

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
project: theme for iPhone
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:16:43 am »

I have set up a project to develop an iPhone-friendly cpg theme. We have the basics working but there is a lot to do. If you are interested in checking it out and/or contributing, please see http://code.google.com/p/cumin/

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: project: theme for iPhone
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:02:41 am »

Thanks for your contribution. I don't have a mobile device that I could test this theme on, but I noticed some flaws that I wanted to let you know:
  • The naming scheme is not right - there shouldn't be a sub-folder within the theme when it is being archived that contains the actual theme
  • There is some hard-coded text that will make the theme break for all other languages than English
  • There are some sections in theme.php that do not differ from what you can find in themes/sample/theme.php, so those sections should not be defined in your custom theme. You appear to have copied the entire content of the sample theme and started modifying it. That's wrong. Only copy the sections that you need to modify
  • In another thread you asked wether it was permitted to render the real footer invisible and display the "Powered by" tag somewhere else. This is true if you just use the theme on your site. However, we're not fond of this method if you plan to publish your theme to others. You didn't mention in the other thread that you were going to release the theme the public.
  • It's somewhat questionable to use part of coppermine's core code in your theme and then re-package with a different license. You say that you're releasing und the BSD license, which is fine as far as the spirit of freedom is concerned for this license. However, you used code taken from coppermine, which is being released under GNU GPL. Basically, the GNU GPL says that derivated work mustn't be released under another license. I'm not a lawyer, so don't sue me if I see this wrong, but imo what you're doing is a license breach
  • Testing the theme on http://iphonetester.com/ I noticed that the intermediate sized view flickers and is not visible - just the same thing happens if I view the theme in my "regular" browser (FF3 on Linux). Using http://iphonetester.com/ on Opera 9.27 on Linux doesn't work neither

Don't let those issues discourage you: it's a great idea to come up with an iphone theme. I really appreciate your readiness to share. I have attached a zip of "my" flavor of your theme, with some corrections applied (basically, I renamed some folders and got rid of the surplus data in theme.php). Please review.

Joachim

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:21:56 pm »

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I will consider the changes and probably implement some. As I think I mentioned pretty clearly above, it is under development, not complete (actually far from it), so any and all criticism at this point is appropriate and appreciated. I invite you and any other interested parties to join the project directly to help contribute if you're interested.

Regarding the "Powered by Coppermine" issue: I would also point out that in the other thread you point to (which I started) I thought I did pretty clearly state that it was going to be released to the cpg community:
as I am planning to eventually submit this theme to the cpg community. I want to make sure it is handled in an acceptable way.
...but maybe that was not clear enough. My apologies. Unfortunately this is exactly the scenario I wanted to avoid, and I wish the answer in that thread would have been considered a bit more.

I will see if I can figure out some other way around it but due to the way the underlying UI kit works + the inability to edit the "Powered by Coppermine" HTML, it seemed like it was not going to be possible. I will experiment more.

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:28:46 pm »

Regarding the license: I believe it is possible to switch the license to GPL, same as Coppermine. I will need to double-check that the licenses of the other components (iUI) don't have similar restrictions (otherwise I think this idea has to be abandoned).

paquets

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:10:09 pm »

Hi,

First of all, thanks for working on this new theme. With the increasing amount of iPhones and iPod Touch out there, this theme will be in demand more and more. Both Picasa and Flickr have the "m" versions, why not Coppermine?

In trying to implement the theme, I hit a couple of snags. First, some plugins wont work with that theme. I've started a new thread just for that http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,56773.0.html.

Another one is for some reason, the section "albums by Category" lists none of the site albums see the site here: http://adpharm.net/?theme=m

Lastly, and this one I've figured out is the following:

If you want you coppermine to recognize automatically that its being viewed by an iPhone/iPod Touch and swith to the cuMin "m" theme, just add the followind in include/init.inc.php:
Code: [Select]
if (eregi("iPhone",$_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"])) {
    $USER['theme'] = 'm';
}

Right after
Code: [Select]
// Process theme selection if present in URI or in user profile
if (!empty($_GET['theme'])) {
    $USER['theme'] = $_GET['theme'];
}

Any ideas?

jhfotoman

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:00:27 pm »

Hi,

I am not sure what might be causing the albums not to list but could be something to do with the plugins you are using. But also, this theme is pretty heavily modified, and not exactly in anything resembling a finished state, and it could quite likely be something to do with that, too.

Anyway: I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to do support for CuMin here on this board yet...plus it seems you have things to contribute...as such, would you consider joining up on the CuMin project on http://code.google.com/p/cumin/ ? You can file your issues, etc. there without cluttering up this board.

paquets

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:12 pm »

Sounds good. I'll repost on google code as soon as I have a minute.

jake

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »

I’m not sure if this is the correct venue for this problem, but here goes.  I’ve been trying to incorporate a mobile devise friendly theme into my CPG, and stumbled across the CuMin theme.  Unfortunately I have been unable to get the theme to function properly, as the first photo on every gallery comes back as an error.  See link: http://woodardphotos.net/coppermine/?theme=m
I am running CPG 1.5.12
I'm not sure what would cause this problem, or how to correct it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time,
-   Jake

jake

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »

Sorry for posting on the wrong board.  I now see that this thread is for cpg 1.4.  As I am running cpg 1.5.12, I have moved this post to the appropriate board.
See: http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,73233.msg352717.html#msg352717
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.