Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caching System  (Read 6194 times)

flowmo

• Coppermine novice
Caching System
« on: August 25, 2007, 09:58:07 am »

I'm wanting to pay someone to develop a caching mod for CPG 1.4.12

I would prefer that the caching method did not require a dedicated server and that it worked with most basic hostings configurations, but I do have a dedicated server with full on access if you HAD to use something such as http://www.php.net/apc

There is a caching mod for phpBB that does cache forum pages with only modifying 1 core file (template.php). you can view the project here: http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=356

If anyone else with a large gallery that gets a lot of traffic would like to contribute, post up and we can work something out.

Alsoo, i would like you to release the mod for free here on the CPG forum after developing it, so that it can easily be worked into the next release of CPG
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:19:08 am by Joachim Müller »

bina07

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Caching System
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 09:01:39 pm »

Great idea, for a long time I have searched for a caching system or mod for CPG, and was surprised and disappointed that one does no exist.

For a system such as CPG with is php and database heavy, when you have a lot or traffic and users it can hit your server hard, and a simple caching system would help out a hell of a lot.

PHPBB3, Wordpress, 4images photo gallery, all use php / mysql and have caching systems.  CPG is just as, or more resource heavy than these, and lacks any form of caching, I see this as a big disadvantage in CPG, and am more temped to use 4images for this reason.  I have seen requests for this in the past, and many CPG tuning threads about how to get CPG running okay on a server which can not currently handle the load.  I caching system would fix all of this.

I run my own server have have XCache installed (a php cache like APC), but a real page cache, or any form of caching directly in CPG would be amazing.

I would be willing to throw in $50-$100 to the pot, to get this developed.

Nibbler

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:47:15 pm »

You can't really use a page cache with Coppermine, nor is there any way to implement an equivalent to the phpbb mod described in the link. If either of you (or anyone else) are willing to give me access to their server (not windows) I can work out a data level caching system. It can't be done as a plugin and would be a very long mod, so it might only be available as a 'changed files' package or patch file until the changes get into 1.5.

PM me if interested.

flowmo

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 05:54:00 am »

I'm looking for more of a total cache... if you say it's not possible, I'll take your word for it..

Though as my site grows my need for this cache system is growing more and more important, so the only option that seems possible is to hire someone for an extended period to build my coppermine installation into a templatling structure such as phpbb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 19 queries.