Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Permission to view thumbnails only  (Read 4723 times)

anna.y

• Coppermine novice
    • Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Permission to view thumbnails only
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:38:07 am »

In cpg1.3.5 which I just upgraded from, I was able to set my entire gallery in such way that guests were able to view thumbnails only.  When they clicked on the thumbnail they got a message that they need to login...

I am not able to find this option in cpg1.4.12.  Making an individual album private prevents guests from viewing it at all and this is not what I want or need.  Is there a way for me to configure this again?

Anna
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 06:41:20 pm by GauGau »

anna.y

• Coppermine novice
    • Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue
Re: Permission to view thumbnails only
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:58 pm »

Thank you Nibbler and thank you for being so patient and prompt with your help.

Of course it worked like a charm!

Anna

natrlhy

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 08:03:29 am »

I tried making this change to a friends gallery and it did not work as expected. The displayimage.php file now looks like this:

Code: [Select]
if (!USER_ID) cpg_die(ERROR, 'You need to register to access this page', __FILE__, __LINE__);
/**       
 * Local functions definition
 */

The private thumbnail still shows up while logged out.  Am I missing something?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:07:15 am »

Post a link to the site in question.

natrlhy

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:09:58 am »

He's only got a few albums that are private but here is the main site:

http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/

and here is the category with the private albums he would like users to just see the thumbnails of:

http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/index.php?cat=26

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:28:22 am »

The code suggested above is an all-or-nothing toggle: you can't determine a particular album with it. It just disables access to intermediate and full-sized images for unregistered users on the overall gallery, not just for a particular album.
You appear to have applied the code in question, as I get the expected message "You need to register to access this page" when going from a thumbnail page (e.g. from http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/thumbnails.php?album=317) to the intermediate page by clicking on the thumbnail.
Imo your question is invalid, as the code change seems to work exactly as advertized.
I strongly suggest to review the policy though: after all, the gallery you mentioned exists as a showcase for products of a company: what's the point in losing part of potential visitors (paying customers!) by hiding content? I would never buy a shirt if I couldn't preview it before I buy it (without the need to register).
I can understand that companies would love to get my personal data (email address) that is required during the registration process, that's why I never sign up before I'm actually convinced. The registration process should be optional, not mandatory.

natrlhy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:39:20 pm »

Hi GauGau,

Thanks for your prompt replies and input.

I do agree that most content for apparel should be fully viewable. They have a front end store and everything can be seen there. I will suggest this to them however.

I guess my thinking was with the code change was:

If any public or private album existed, the thumbnails at least could be viewed. When you click on a thumbnail to view the private album, it would then inform the guest to login/register to view the album. It does seem to work for these albums in this category: http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/index.php?cat=20

however since these are public albums the user should be able to view them without logging in.

I was initially thinking that the thumbnails would be viewable by anyone going to a private album as well, as is the case under this category:

http://gallery.knoxxgear.com/index.php?cat=26

The code changes that I have implemented from the FAQ don't seem to apply to private albums unless I am misunderstanding what the code change is for (seems to apply to all public albums only).

Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.