Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch File Upload and Multiple Level Directories  (Read 7009 times)

jarodsafehouse71

• Coppermine novice
Batch File Upload and Multiple Level Directories
« on: August 03, 2006, 07:41:30 pm »

Will batch file upload not work when you have multiple level directories ?? ???

i.e.

[Parent Folder]
     {Sub Folder 1}
          {Sub Folder 2}
            File 1
            File 2
            File 3

etc. etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:08:01 am by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: Batch File Upload and Multiple Level Directories
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:46 pm »

No. It won't not work.

cgc0202

• Coppermine frequent poster
Batch File Upload and Multiple Level Directories within the "albums"?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 11:50:07 pm »

No. It won't not work.

I assume we are talking about directories here where the photos actually reside, i.e.. the ones that reside in the "albums" directory? If not, then my response here is not relevant.

However, if we are talking about the directories created within the "albums" directory, here is my current system. Right now,  I have the photos placed "within directories in a directory" in the "public directory", separate from the  as "album" contained in CPG.  [This turned out to work based from an earlier thread, forgot now where it is.]  So, here my multi-level layout:

/public-album/photos/contributors/A to Z*/name of photographer1/photo1.jpg

so photos, there may be several categories, and under contributors there are multiple folders A to Z, and multiple photographers under each letter.  Sometimes I even have subdirectories within the directory of each photographer when (s)he has too many photos.  It seems to work so far, i.e., photos will show up.  What I am not sure is whether this multilevel layout of subdirectories in the "photo albums directories" contributes to slowing down of photo-presentation in CPG once there are many photos already.

What I found however is a certain complication observed just now when I tried to organize multiple  CPG directories into deeper categories and tried to do a batch upload, as you are trying to do. I will post my recent observation as a different thread, because it is not the same as the issue asked here.  It is not an error in permissions, as you observed in your other post.

By the way jarodsafehouse71, you asked the same question in another topic, and that is considered a violation of the forum rules.  The moderators and the core people involved with the program "do not too look kindly" at people doing that -- you may get a lowered karma, just like I did today (though not sure what I violated  ;D).

cgc0202
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 12:02:28 am by cgc0202 »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:47:30 am »

To clarify: there are no sub-albums in coppermine's interface. However, folders on your webspace can be nested.

jarodsafehouse71

• Coppermine novice
Re: Batch File Upload and Multiple Level Directories within the "albums"?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 12:10:32 am »

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Are you saying you've got yours in a different directory (besides albums) ??

I've been told here by two other people that multiple level directories will not work ......  ???

jsh

I assume we are talking about directories here where the photos actually reside, i.e.. the ones that reside in the "albums" directory? If not, then my response here is not relevant.

However, if we are talking about the directories created within the "albums" directory, here is my current system. Right now,  I have the photos placed "within directories in a directory" in the "public directory", separate from the  as "album" contained in CPG.  [This turned out to work based from an earlier thread, forgot now where it is.]  So, here my multi-level layout:

/public-album/photos/contributors/A to Z*/name of photographer1/photo1.jpg

so photos, there may be several categories, and under contributors there are multiple folders A to Z, and multiple photographers under each letter.  Sometimes I even have subdirectories within the directory of each photographer when (s)he has too many photos.  It seems to work so far, i.e., photos will show up.  What I am not sure is whether this multilevel layout of subdirectories in the "photo albums directories" contributes to slowing down of photo-presentation in CPG once there are many photos already.

What I found however is a certain complication observed just now when I tried to organize multiple  CPG directories into deeper categories and tried to do a batch upload, as you are trying to do. I will post my recent observation as a different thread, because it is not the same as the issue asked here.  It is not an error in permissions, as you observed in your other post.

By the way jarodsafehouse71, you asked the same question in another topic, and that is considered a violation of the forum rules.  The moderators and the core people involved with the program "do not too look kindly" at people doing that -- you may get a lowered karma, just like I did today (though not sure what I violated  ;D).

cgc0202

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 01:05:16 am »

You upload the files into the 'albums' directory and create subdirectories in the 'albums' directory to aid you in organizing them. This is not only supported by Coppermine but is the recommended course of action.

cgc0202

Re: Batch File Upload and Multiple Level Directories within the "albums"?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 02:31:02 am »

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Are you saying you've got yours in a different directory (besides albums) ??
I've been told here by two other people that multiple level directories will not work ......  ???
jsh

OK since you are just starting, it is best to follow what GauGau and Nibbler are telling you.  What I was trying to do, i.e., placing the archive of my photos outside of the CPG, took a long time of trial and error -- with the help of some more experienced users here.  For now, stick with using the "albums" in CPG, to setup your multi-level subdirectories for your photos.

Let us just make things clear.  We are just talking about the "albums" directory in the CPG -- stick with that.  To be more explicit, this is what Nibbler and GauGau are telling you:

http:yoursite.com/cpg/albums/pics/.../(photos here)

Where "pics" is the main directory where you are going to place the photos that you will upload by FTP, as an administrator. 

Note: Be sure not to use and place your multilevel sub-directories in the "userpics" -- because that is reserved directory, as the Manual stated.  

You may create multi-level directories inside  "pics".  For example, if you wish to alphabetize your photos under some systematic subdirectories from A-Z, your first level sub-directories  would "A", "B", "C", ... to, "Z", as folllows:

.../pics/A/.../(photos here)
.../pics/B/.../(photos here)
.../pics/C/.../(photos here)

etc.
to
.../pics/Z/.../(photos here)

Note that under each letter, you may create deeper level subdirectories, if you wish. That is the meaning of the "/.../" in the illustration above.  For example:

.../pics/A/almonds/(photos of almonds here)
.../pics/A/animals/(photos of animals here)
.../pics/A/apples/(photos of apples here)

etc.

where "almonds",  "animals", "apples", etc., are the sub-subdirectories under "A".  You may even group "almonds" and  "apples" with other fruits, as follows: -> pics -> F -> fruits -> etc. following the examples above.

I hope the examples above clarify the cryptic responses of GauGau and Nibbler.  I have been in your situation just a few months ago, and sometimes the setup process gets confusing.

cgc0202

« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:43:38 am by cgc0202 »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 06:31:40 am »

There's no actual need for the pics sub-folder. The alphabetical folders could well reside within the albums folder.

cgc0202

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 10:06:36 am »

There's no actual need for the pics sub-folder. The alphabetical folders could well reside within the albums folder.

You are correct GauGau, your suggestion will eliminate one level of the multi-level directories, as I outlined.  My point is that you can have multi-level sub-folders to organize the photos. Both will work.

I normally add the "/pics/"  subdirectory to make it more clean and ensure that the "admin-loaded" directories are not intermingled with the "/edit/" and the "/userpics/" -- both are also inside the "/albums/" directory. The addition of the "/pics/" as a sublevel, though not absolutely necessary makes the layout more "clean" and orderly.  From my experience, the example I outlined above works too. 

The only thing that is nagging me is whether the extra level added by the "/pics/, in the example I gave, would somehow impact on the overall speed of photo presentation.  I have not tested that yet and that is entirely separate issue from the question raised in the original post.

cgc0202

Note: 

This is just a reminder for  jarodsafehouse71:  Whether you follow GauGau's or my suggestion; make sure that in the Configuration, in response to:

The album directory *:  keep the answer as "albums/" (without the quotes, of course), if you keep your FTP uploaded photos in subdiretories inside the default "albums" folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.