Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Coppermine Live-Demo  (Read 385952 times)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Coppermine Live-Demo
« on: July 31, 2006, 12:59:52 am »

For those who want to preview Coppermine before actually installing it on a real production server we have created a Live-Demo:

The live-demo is not the actual Coppermine package that you should run on your webserver/webspace. It is just a package that provides a local webserver with a pre-configured Coppermine install rolled into one package to preview the "real" Coppermine Photo Gallery on your Windows box. The webserver is being started by only executing one single file, so you don't have to go through the troubles of setting up a webserver environment on your local PC just for evaluation purposes. The sole purpose of the live-demo is to give you an impression how the admin backend of Coppermine looks and feels. It is only meant to be used for evaluation purposes. You mustn't run it as a production system, because it has deliberately been configured in an unsecure manner to provide a newbie-proof experience in the first place.

The live-demo has been created using the tool server2go, which is an app that allows you to create a portable webserver environment (using Apache, PHP, mySQL) for Windows. The software is donation-ware (everybody can use it for free, however you're asked to donate to the author). The Coppermine dev team would like to thank Timo Haberkern (the author of server2go) for providing this nice tool. It's mandatory though that you understand that the Coppermine group is not afiliated with server2go in any way - we do not provide support for it, and subsequently we don't support the live-demo.

The Live-Demo is experimental - not in terms of stability, but in terms of support. If it should turn out that the Live-Demo is causing too many support requests (although it goes totally unsupported, but I'm convinced that there will be morons who will ask for support on it), we'll drop it. Make sure that it isn't you who is the culprit for the removal of the Live-Demo: don't ask questions about it. We mean it.

However, we'd appreciate feedback - tell us if the Live-Demo helped you in figuring out how Coppermine works.

Get the Live-Demo from the download section (link at the top of this page).

Joachim
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:01:02 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Coppermine Live-Demo
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 08:00:44 am »

333 downloads as of now, yet zero comments?
By posting above that the Live-Demo doesn't get supported at all I must have scared everyone away, sorry. Just as  a clarification: the Live-Demo doesn't get supported, yet I would like to hear your opinion about it.
If you find it useful, I might add some more features to it (and maybe create a Knoppix port as well with a bootable Linux OS with a pre-configured Coppermine install) - or even several of them (one with a standalone Coppermine install, some installs with various bridges and plugins enabled).

tektsu

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:36:31 am »

Well, I downloaded it tonight, and tried it out. It would not run. All I got was a couple of "access denied" dialog boxes, then I had to kill start.exe manually to get rid of it.

François Keller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka Frantz
    • Ma galerie
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:22:21 am »

Well, I downloaded it tonight, and tried it out. It would not run. All I got was a couple of "access denied" dialog boxes
Same issues  :-\
Avez vous lu la DOC ? la FAQ ? et cherché sur le forum avant de poster ?
Did you read the DOC ? the FAQ ? and search the board before posting ?
Mon Blog

Aditya Mooley

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • My Sweet Home
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:39:41 am »

Just downloaded and tested on my windows box and it worked fine.
I had to stop the local XAMPP server before running this live demo.

@tektsu, Frantz - if you have any http server running on your setup like IIS or Apache, stop it first and then try live demo again.
--- "Its Nice 2 BE Important but its more Important 2 Be NICE" ---
Follow Coppermine on Twitter

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:09:56 am »

Of course Aditya is right: I didn't expect that users are running a webserver on their windows box - people who are capable to do so are not the target audience, as they probably already have the skills to set up coppermine without the need for the Live-Demo. The Live-Demo actually starts a webserver of it's own (an apache webserver with PHP and mySQL), so another webserver already running probably will interfere.
In the next version of the Live-Demo, I'll make sure to add some caveats to the readme about collision of webservers.

François Keller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka Frantz
    • Ma galerie
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 04:00:45 pm »

@tektsu, Frantz - if you have any http server running on your setup like IIS or Apache, stop it first and then try live demo again.
I have stopped my EasyPhp but i have same issue  :-\
Avez vous lu la DOC ? la FAQ ? et cherché sur le forum avant de poster ?
Did you read the DOC ? the FAQ ? and search the board before posting ?
Mon Blog

Pascal YAP

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Hello World :-)
    • CPG 1.5.x ExperiMental website
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 05:13:42 pm »

All,

After an Ctrl+Alt+Del i switch off all my Apache serveur !
No issue at all for me ! Work nice then (in a first install)  ;D

PYAP

Sigi44

• Coppermine regular visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 05:34:25 pm »

For those who want to preview Coppermine before actually installing it on a real production server we have created a Live-Demo:

The live-demo is not the actual Coppermine package that you should run on your webserver/webspace. It is just a package that provides a local webserver with a pre-configured Coppermine install rolled into one package to preview the "real" Coppermine Photo Gallery on your Windows box. The webserver is being started by only executing one single file, so you don't have to go through the troubles of setting up a webserver environment on your local PC just for evaluation purposes. The sole purpose of the live-demo is to give you an impression how the admin backend of Coppermine looks and feels. It is only meant to be used for evaluation purposes. You mustn't run it as a production system, because it has deliberately been configured in an unsecure manner to provide a newbie-proof experience in the first place.

The live-demo has been created using the tool server2go, which is an app that allows you to create a portable webserver environment (using Apache, PHP, mySQL) for Windows. The software is donation-ware (everybody can use it for free, however you're asked to donate to the author). The Coppermine dev team would like to thank Timo Haberkern (the author of server2go) for providing this nice tool. It's mandatory though that you understand that the Coppermine group is not afiliated with server2go in any way - we do not provide support for it, and subsequently we don't support the live-demo.

The Live-Demo is experimental - not in terms of stability, but in terms of support. If it should turn out that the Live-Demo is causing too many support requests (although it goes totally unsupported, but I'm convinced that there will be morons who will ask for support on it), we'll drop it. Make sure that it isn't you who is the culprit for the removal of the Live-Demo: don't ask questions about it. We mean it.

However, we'd appreciate feedback - tell us if the Live-Demo helped you in figuring out how Coppermine works.

Get the Live-Demo from the download section (link at the top of this page).

Joachim

Hello,
if you want to do, you can give the following information also to the english community:

More than look and feel... it´s real!
I have installed a full Coppermine-Gallery on one of my web-servers.
EVERYONE who wants to test it, can do it.
Look at http://quickhosting24.de/coppermine

Sigi

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 08:25:33 pm »

The Live-Demo mustn't be used as a real production server, as I said before. If the install you're refering to is a Live-Demo install, then take it off immediately (for your own good). If it is not a Live-Demo, but a regular Coppermine install, then you've replied to the wrong thread.

paul crompton

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 05:49:18 pm »

Thanks for the demo, downloaded and ran without any problems and had a good play. This has now given me the confidence to use the script on my web site. The next thing is to get inside it and remove some of the functions and try to add some others. No doubt I will be paying the support forum a visit before long.

Paul Crompton

Sami

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
  • BMossavari
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 07:26:29 pm »

In my (disabled) xampp server on win XP it's not working !
It didn't show any picture and after 30 sec it will gone ! and then it will bring 404 not found error !
‍I don't answer to PM with support question
Please post your issue to related board

kriptap

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 02:35:30 am »

>:(

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:07:36 am »

>:(
That's not the kind of comment I was looking for. If you have something to say, do so. If you just want to play with smiley icons, install your own BBS and go playing there. Just posting an "angry" smiley is just nonsense and not helpful at all.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:36 am »

The Live-Demo has been updated to version1.1 to reflect the release of cpg1.4.9 (the underlying coppermine install that is embedded into the Live-Demo is now based on cpg1.4.9). The issues with parallel apache services that can't co-exist on one machine have been noted in the documentation that comes with the Live-Demo as well.
Get the most recent Live-Demo from the download section.

Joachim

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 02:22:59 pm »

Since I travel a lot, I use my corporate laptop to do most of my CPG work. IT has Apache blocked (and rightly so I guess) so that I can't install it and they won't release the block. I get a lot of other privileges from them and won't push this issue. So until I get a separate hard drive or stay home more often, I'll have to hold off on this cool tool. Bummer  :(
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.
Billy Bullock - BullsEyePhotos Blog of Indecision

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 06:48:06 pm »

I'm currently working on a Linux Boot-CD (Knoppix-flavor) with Coppermine, phpMyAdmin, some tools and editors booting from CD... There's no way your corporate admin can keep you from using that unless they won't let you boot from CD (change of boot order and password protection of BIOS).

Gizmo

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • BullsEye Photos
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 04:18:46 am »

Very Cool GauGau! Actually I used to use a Ubuntu LiveCD for knocking around when I'm away and want to hang out on the net surfing without my company wondering what I'm up to. Mind you I do this off time but since I travel a lot and find myself in a lot of coffee houses, I don't really want to worry about the nasties I could catch. Using the corporate VPN for personal use is asking for trouble and the IT guys don't really care as long as I'm not picking up any viruses. So, I'd be very grateful for such a cool tool. If you have the time and can work this in, booting from a USB thumbdrive or flash card would be very cool too. I use a Linux mounted thumbdrive now and it's great. I love pulling it out, pluging it into peoples laptops and showing them in minutes that they can run Linux! Very cool!  :D
Did you read the manual first???? Taking 2 minutes to backup your files can save you hours of wondering what you screwed up.
Billy Bullock - BullsEyePhotos Blog of Indecision

geelake

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 05:23:26 pm »

take a look at my site please:

http://cnarts.geelake.com/

Coppermine is excellent!

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 07:19:13 pm »

How is this related to the Live-Demo?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 20 queries.