Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can my photos be taken from Coppermine by visitors???  (Read 8748 times)

cabazon

• Coppermine newbie
Can my photos be taken from Coppermine by visitors???
« on: July 12, 2006, 01:18:02 am »

Hi and thanks for your time!

How secure is Coppermine? Is there a feature that will prevent any user from downloading the photographs in any and all of the albums?

If not in Coppermine, would I be able to protect the images from with in my Cpanel?

Thanks again for your help..

Cabazon   :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:38:00 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Can my photos be taken from Coppermine by visitors???
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 04:43:04 am »

There are mechanisms in Coppermine to hide pics from certain user groups (i.e. show your pics only to users you trust). However, if a (trusted) user can see a pic, he can download it as well (as the whole nature of the www works like that: as soon as you see a picture, it already has been downloaded to the client and resides on the client's cache). The only genuine protection that actually is worth considering is watermarking images. If you're afraid to show your images at all, don't post them on the internet. This is imanent to all web photo galleries, not only coppermine.
Cpanel only is capable to set up an additional password protection (that doesn't blend in that nicely), so there is nothing gained.

cabazon

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 05:17:58 am »

Thanks for your reply GauGau. I agree with you on all of your comments. I was just hoping that CM might have something in place that would stop the majority of people from taking photos. I realize that anyone who wants anything bad enough and has some tech knowledge can do anything. Something like "No Right Click" javascript works ok on html pages but by no means is fool proof.

Anyhow, thanks again...

Cabazon   ;)

Stramm

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
    • Bettis Wollwelt
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 09:18:57 am »

there are mods for that (at least I've one half done that puts a transparent gif over the actual image. When someone downloads it with right mouse -> download then he just gets the transparent gif [but that's only good for a protection against newbs]) and a plugin to control the rmb menu
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.