Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PHP does not have MySQL support enabled (Centos, MySQL 5.0)  (Read 19715 times)

mtbcyclist

• Coppermine newbie
PHP does not have MySQL support enabled (Centos, MySQL 5.0)
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:13:12 am »

What do you do to enable support for MySQL?  I have just built this machine with Centos (Linux) 4.2, MySQL 5.0, PHP 4.3.9, Apache and Coppermine.  Built the database and got it all running and ran into this error.  I poked around in the php.ini file but not sure what to do with it, or is there something else I should be doing?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 09:01:38 pm by GauGau »

Nibbler

Re: PHP does not have MySQL support enabled (Centos, MySQL 5.0)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:21:17 pm »

Read the documentation that comes with php.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:32:09 pm »

The coppermine dev team doesn't recommend self-hosting for non-professionals. I suggest reviewing the whole idea of running your own server.

mtbcyclist

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 03:22:04 am »

Actually I am a professional systems adminsitrator, and administer a 7 site 250+ node network for a living.  I am very good with Windows, AS400, Cisco, and am learing Linux so that I can impement a number of open source projects at work.   I figured that this project would be a good learning experience but maybe I was wrong.  I thought this forum was all about helping folks and not turning them away.

While I appreciate  the statement "the coppermine dev team doesn't recoomend self hosting for non-professional" I am also a bit insulted but still am going to ask for a little of help if you wouldl not mind.  I thought the whole idea behind open source was freedom, and a "commuinty" sense of helping each other.  Believe me if the shoe were on the other foot I would be saying the exact same things you have said BUT I would also try and help the individual out AND say something like "use at your own risk since we do not condone individuals running there own web server due to inherint security risks.. yadda yadda yadda".

I have read the PHP documentation. http://us2.php.net/manual/en/printwn/ref.mysql.php    Yes it does make sense but I am trying to use YUM to do my updates/installs and things are not working out too well.  I have attempted to use the latest version of PHP and MySQL and Apachee and followed the directoins on the PHP site for new intstall only to come up empty handed.

Sorry if I come off sounding like a complete ass but I feel like I just got bitch slapped in the face all for trying to learn and use some pretty cool software.  Believe me I am not TRYING to sound like an ass, I am just trying to make a point. 

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 07:42:31 am »

OK, let me clarify some things: coppermine is open source, as well as php, but this doesn't mean that we're experts in server setup. We (the coppermine dev team) are mostly hosted on paid webhosting, we do not run our own servers publicly. Turning to our forum to get help setting up your webserver in the first place is just not a bright idea, because there are better places on the internet that can help you setting it up. Arguing about this is like turning towards a car salesman, asking for support on mining - even though cars are built out of metal, with iron-ore being raised in mines, the car salesman certainly won't know much about it. I think you're missing the concept behind open-source spirit: just because we know some things doesn't necessarily mean that we have to share this knowledge. I'm a network admin by profession, yet I chose to work on a project that deals with a web photo gallery. Although I know stuff about other things, I'm not supporting users who run into networking issues. It's up to us to decide what we're going to support. Being open source devs doesn't make us slaves of everyone on the internet, forcing us to help people on every aspect of life that we're familiar with. Excellent reading about this can be found here.

Regarding our thought on self-hosting, the most important aspect is the amount of time you're ready to spend on maintaining a server. Imo, one person isn't enough to monitor a webserver publicly run on the internet. There have been discussions about this, the most recent one to be found here. I wasn't going to insult you, and you'll note that I said that I said that self-hosting is not recommended for non-pros. As you're a pro, my remark didn't apply to you, so why bother?

Joachim

P.S. I have no idea what YUM is. Setting up Centos with a pre-made package with built-in mysql support is recommended, that's what I did on a test server some months ago.

Nibbler

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 02:09:58 pm »

If you use yum, all you need to do is install the php-mysql rpm. That will add mysql support to php for you.

mtbcyclist

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 02:47:53 pm »

First off thanks very much for the help.  I am very gratefull for the help and this kick ass software!!

Turning to our forum to get help setting up your webserver in the first place is just not a bright idea, because there are better places on the internet that can help you setting it up. Arguing about this is like turning towards a car salesman, asking for support on mining

Point well taken, BUT I was hoping that somebody out there had the same issue and could say this is what I did to resolve it. 

Being open source devs doesn't make us slaves of everyone on the internet, forcing us to help people on every aspect of life that we're familiar with.

Never forced anybody to help me.  Was trying to be as polite as I can to get help.

Anyways you folks keep up the GREAT WORK!!   ;D  Thanks again for the help and great software. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 20 queries.