Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating parallel running versions of 1.3x & 1.4.2  (Read 5829 times)

mgraf

• Coppermine novice
    • http://www.grafphoto.com
Creating parallel running versions of 1.3x & 1.4.2
« on: December 03, 2005, 06:41:19 pm »

Been reading up on converting my 1.3.1 gallery to 1.4.2...  I have quite a few theme changes to make, as well as transfer of my shopping cart configuration, and my use of watermarks.   I am already planning on using WinMerge to track them all down, but still worried something may go wrong in the upgrade process.

I am just wondering if you can create 2 running versions of Coppermine on the same site?  So I could debug and test the upgrade, while letting my 1.3.1 version run live.   

Would this just be a matter of duplicating my current SQL database to a new name, and then performing the 1.4 upgrade on it?

Am I also correct in understanding that watermarks cannot be transferred from my usage in 1.3.1 to work in 1.4.2?   I am using the mod that applies the mark over the top of the image on display, but doesn't actually modify the original image file.  I prefer to keep it this way.

My gallery is at:  http://www.grafphoto.com/gallery/index.php

Thanks much!

Mark

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
Re: Creating parallel running versions of 1.3x & 1.4.2
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 07:34:43 pm »

You can install 1.4.2 next to your 1.3.x gallery.  Just make sure the table prefixes are different (should be ok, as your tables are probably cpg13x_) and the cookie names are different.  That's for a fresh install, however.

For your situation, I would use phpMyAdmin to make copies of your current tables and then change the table prefix to cpg142_.  Duplicate your Coppermine directory and call it something easy to remember, like cpg142.  Edit your config.inc.php file to point to the correct tables (change the table prefix entry).  Use phpMyAdmin and edit your new cpg142_config table - update your ecards_more_pic_target and cookie entries to reflect the new location and the new cookie name.

Clear your cookies, then try to access your newly copied site.  If everything works, upload the new 1.4.2 files to your test site and perform the upgrade.

As always, make sure to back up your database and critical files before proceeding.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

mgraf

• Coppermine novice
    • http://www.grafphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 02:00:53 pm »

Maybe I am not understanding correctly, but are you suggesting going in and modifying my existing SQL database with 142 prefixes, or creating a new SQL database?   I haven't really dabbled too much in data within the database other than input through coppermine.

Tranz

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:53:57 pm »

You can put a copy of the current tables in a new database where you won't need to change the prefix. If you put them in the same database, they need to have different prefixes to avoid conflict.

kegobeer

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • Beer - it does a body good!
    • The Kazebeer Family Website
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 05:00:04 am »

I don't recommend going forward until you have more experience with MySQL and phpMyAdmin.  Start with Google and read everything you can.  If you plan on experimenting, you need to know what tools you'll have to use and how to use them.
Do not send me a private message unless I ask for one.  Make your post public so everyone can benefit.

There are no stupid questions
But there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.