Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused with groups/users. How can I do the following?  (Read 3618 times)

Aycardus

• Coppermine newbie
Confused with groups/users. How can I do the following?
« on: December 12, 2003, 06:58:03 am »

Hi, I just started messing around with Coppermine and have a question that I cannot find the answer to. (I checked the FAQ and searched here but only sort-of found an answer)

Basically, this is the scenario that I want to accomplish:

1. I want to create photo albums for my family to be able to view.
2. I want to make the albums viewable by them only.
3. I do not want all registered users to be able to view this album.
4. I want to be able to view these family albums also using my (admin) account.

What seemed to the be correct way to set this up is to create a new group, such as 'My Family', and set the family albums viewable only by the 'My Family' group. Ok, this does work, except that I cannot, as the admin, view the album.

So I assumed that I have to edit my admin account and add myself to the 'My Family' group. I can't do that because CPG says I can't edit my own profile from the Users menu. It says I should click on 'My Profile' to do so, but I can't edit my groups there. I then created a new account with administrator rights and edited my original admin account and set the checkbox for the 'My Family' group.

That didn't work either. I'm getting the same problem as others have posted here - I see the album thumbnail, no description, and if I click it, it says 'Album not found' (or something similar)

I'm not sure if this is the future enhancement that I've read about here so I would like to know how/if I can do what I outlined above.

Also, in the Users menu there is a drop-down listbox under the 'User group' item followed by checkboxes of all available groups. What exactly is this? Does the drop-down override the checkboxes or do the checkboxes not do anything? This is where I thought you could edit the user and select what group(s) he/she belongs to but I don't understand the combination of the drop-down AND checkboxes. Also, if you view your profile you'll see what main (drop-down selection?) followed by any other groups (checkbox?) wrapped in parenthesis. This leads me to believe that you can be a member of different groups.

So, yeah, I'm confused... lol.

If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Aycardus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 07:24:38 am »

Maybe to clarify a little bit more, I want to create albums for my family to be able to view (and only my family, along with my admin rights too) but not let them edit/change anything.

For example: I take the photos at family gatherings and would like to put up the pictures for them to see (but not the general public) yet they can only view, not alter the albums.

Is this possible?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 08:34:53 am »

• in admin menu "groups", create a group called "family".
  • Make your family members of this group (admin menu "users").
  • In coppermine config, set "Users can can have private albums" to "yes".
  • In album properties of the album you want only your family members to access, choose "Family" in the dropdown list "Album can be viewed by". [/list:u]You're done.

GauGau

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 09:54:01 am »

For admin to see the albums, 'Show private album Icon to unlogged user' in 'Pictures and thumbnails advanced settings' in config must be set to yes.
You will then see the 'private' icon on the home page, but will see the pics and be able to edit from the album page.
Any other user other than the admin and members of the 'family' group, will be told, 'no pics'or 'no album'.

hope this helps.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here

Aycardus

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 02:56:16 pm »

Yes it does help very much. Thank you both!  8)

Casper

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 05:26:05 pm »

one other thing.
When you change the users to the new group, make sure there is still a check in the 'registered user' box, or they will not be able to see the normal albums.

see thread http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=1976&highlight= if you are having problems.
It has been a long time now since I did my little bit here, and have done no coding or any other such stuff since. I'm back to being a noob here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.