Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: coppermine + yahoo hosting  (Read 102477 times)

har

• Coppermine newbie
coppermine + yahoo hosting
« on: June 17, 2005, 08:21:52 am »

Hi, I had some trouble getting Coppermine 1.3.3 to work under Yahoo small-business hosting, so I thought I'd post what I did to get it to work.  The main issue I had was with uploading large files; my goal was to upload the full-res files and have Coppermine display thumbnails and intermediate images for browsing, but still let folks download the original for printing.  My camera takes 3072x2304 pics at 3M each; I've read that using gd inside php to produce thumbnails and such requires over 40M for this, but Yahoo's php.ini sets "memory_limit" to 8M.  Fortunately Yahoo permits overriding this default.

(1) Make a /tmp directory for PHP's upload_tmp_dir setting, 777 permission.
(2) Before uploading Coppermine, edit the include/init.inc.php file to add the following line after the <?php line at the top:  ini_set("memory_limit", "64M");
(3) Upload Coppermine, setup albums/... permissions and run install.php as the instructions say.
(4) Instead of "localhost" for the mysql server, use "mysql".
(5) On the Coppermine "Config" page, set "Max size for uploaded files" and "Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos" to appropriate values (I used 3072 for both).

Well, that's it.  Coppermine works great for me, thanks for all the hard work creating it!

-har
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 08:49:47 am by GauGau »

chaggydawg

• Coppermine newbie
Re: coppermine + yahoo hosting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 09:14:53 am »

thank you so much this helps me solve a problem I just starting having  :)

interstock

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:48:04 pm »

man....... you just solved my problem !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks a lot!!

webmiss-epk

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 09:57:09 am »

Ok I'm an idiot I don't get it, I have yahoo small business as well but don't know how to use coppermine with it. :(  I don't understand the instructions as I am not that much of a whiz with this. LOL

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
    • evj art and photography
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:38:32 am »

Ok I'm an idiot I don't get it, I have yahoo small business as well but don't know how to use coppermine with it. :(  I don't understand the instructions as I am not that much of a whiz with this. LOL

(1) Make a /tmp directory for PHP's upload_tmp_dir setting, 777 permission.

You have to create a folder nameed "tmp" in your small business domain using the filemanager or hostmanager tools (or whatever they are called) at your domain at Yahoo. This is the same as making a new folder on your computer.  Set it's permission (chmode) to 777 (this allows read and write permission to the folder)

(2) Before uploading Coppermine, edit the include/init.inc.php file to add the following line after the <?php line at the top:  ini_set("memory_limit", "64M");

Download Coppermine 1.3.5, unzip it.  Go to the Cpg135/include directory and with notepad open the init.inc.php file.   Add    ini_set("memory_limit", "64M");   right after:    <?php  at the very top of the file.  Save the file.

(3) Upload Coppermine, setup albums/... permissions and run install.php as the instructions say.

Rename your coppermine folder to whatever name you want it to be. "photos" "gallery" etc.
Upload it to your website into the tmp folder.  CHMOD all the folders in the coppermine upload to 777.

Run http://Http://www.yourdomain.com/copperminefoldername/install.php  and where it says "localhost" change that to "mysql"

(5) On the Coppermine "Config" page, set "Max size for uploaded files" and "Max width or height for uploaded pictures/videos" to appropriate values (I used 3072 for both).

Once you have installed coppermine successfully, go to the CONFIG panel in your coppermine install, you will see a button.   And set the Max size for uploaded files and Max width or height for upload pictures/videos to an appropriate value.  If you are using this for photos only, you will probably want to set this to 1200 or less.

Dennis

« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 01:31:54 pm by GauGau »
Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

speedymx

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 07:02:20 pm »

I used this method to install coppermine with yahoo hosting.  It installed successfully (or it says) then when I try to go to the admin, index, or login page it is blank...what is wrong?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 08:29:35 pm by speedymx »

brownbabe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 04:27:29 pm »

Help Pleeeeeeese!!!!

I am trying to follow your instructions, but everything you have posted I don't get on my computer.

For example:
 /tmp directory for PHP's upload_tmp_dir setting, 777 permission.

Where the heck do I find that. All my files I uploaded and unzipped show Read only, hidden and archive when I click on properties of the files. I don't have anything that shows up  as the above.

I am a total newbie and don't understand this. I have yahoo hosting. I am even trying to upload each individual file into a subdirectory in my web file manager but I could be at it for the next few days doing it that way.

Is there an easier way? Please help. I am pulling my hair out. ???

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 07:34:52 pm »

Help Pleeeeeeese!!!!

For example:
 /tmp directory for PHP's upload_tmp_dir setting, 777 permission.

Where the heck do I find that. All my files I uploaded and unzipped show Read only, hidden and archive when I click on properties of the files. I don't have anything that shows up  as the above.

I am a total newbie and don't understand this. I have yahoo hosting. I am even trying to upload each individual file into a subdirectory in my web file manager but I could be at it for the next few days doing it that way.

Is there an easier way? Please help. I am pulling my hair out. ???

If your web file manager doesn't provide a CHMODE option, use an FTP program.  There are many free ones available online.  I use smartFTP, myself.  These programs have options to CHMODE file and folders. 

Dennis

Learn and live ... In January of 2011, after a botched stent attempt, the doctors told me I needed a multiple bypass surgery or I could die.  I told them I needed new doctors.

brownbabe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 08:40:19 pm »

Thank you Dennis,

but one question, If I have yahoo professional hosting, shouldn't it already have FTP on it? And if it does, how do I use it?

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 09:02:01 pm »

Thank you Dennis,

but one question, If I have yahoo professional hosting, shouldn't it already have FTP on it? And if it does, how do I use it?

Hosting services usually have some form of limited FTP services, most provide support for FTP programs only.  Let's face it, they are not really in the FTP programming business.  A third-party FTP program always offers more features, versatility and up-to-date support, anyway. 

Dennis 

brownbabe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 09:15:36 pm »

Thank you Dennis,

Hosting services usually have some form of limited FTP services, most provide support for FTP programs only.  Let's face it, they are not really in the FTP programming business.  A third-party FTP program always offers more features, versatility and up-to-date support, anyway. 

Dennis 

So where do I find this 3rd party FTP? And how do I use it with my Yahoo account?

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 09:23:30 pm »

Do an internet search for free FTP programs.

Select the one that looks best for you.
Read the instructions that come with the program on how to set it up to connect to your host and where to put in your host ID and Password.

Each one is a little different.  I use different ones on different computers just because.

Dennis

brownbabe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 02:53:19 pm »

Do an internet search for free FTP programs.

Select the one that looks best for you.
Read the instructions that come with the program on how to set it up to connect to your host and where to put in your host ID and Password.

Each one is a little different.  I use different ones on different computers just because.

Dennis

What is a host ID? Where do I find it?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 05:54:14 pm »

this is a sticky thread that deals with issues related to coppermine hosted on yahoo. Yours is another issue - you need to figure out about the basics of running a webpage. Please stop posting to this thread.

brownbabe

• Coppermine novice
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 06:59:53 pm »

this is a sticky thread that deals with issues related to coppermine hosted on yahoo. Yours is another issue - you need to figure out about the basics of running a webpage. Please stop posting to this thread.

Sorry Gaugau, I am a newbie at this.

mr_zagnutty

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 07:49:11 pm »

when I put the database name in the field, does the install program know to look for it in the root directory of the website?  when I go to submit the installation if kicks back with an error saying it cannot find the database .... through yahoo I created a php database entitled mysql_admin, but it evidently cannot find it

artistsinhawaii

• VIP
  • Coppermine addict
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 08:15:12 pm »

When running the install, don't forget this step from the instructions above.

Dennis

mr_zagnutty

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 08:59:46 pm »

That still didn't work.  I have created a SQL directory called tmp.  I have installed the copper mine files after renaming it to photos under that tmp directory.  Is this the correct way to do it?

sledcrew

• Coppermine newbie
    • sledcrew
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2005, 10:40:13 pm »

Hey i did everything that you told me except one thing.

The uploading works with pictures now, i can upload up to 5 pictures no problems.

But uploading a movie it does work.

The only thing i didn't do was the

/tmp folder

You had this for step 3..

Quote :Rename your coppermine folder to whatever name you want it to be. "photos" "gallery" etc.
Upload it to your website into the tmp folder.  CHMOD all the folders in the coppermine upload to 777. :"Quote"

So the gallery program has to be in the /tmp folder?

so example www.mysite.com/tmp/gallery?

Thanks for anymore info on this.

Nibbler

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.