Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating sub-directories  (Read 5838 times)

eric168

• Coppermine newbie
Creating sub-directories
« on: April 26, 2005, 03:30:12 am »

suggests that system let user create sub-directory under their own directory. this may reduce the messy growth time by time.

Thanks all !!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 07:32:20 am by GauGau »

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Creating sub-directories
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:31:51 am »

This thread has originally been posted as a reply to the announcement thread "cpg1.3.3 released - upgrade strongly recommended". I split it from there, as it clearly is an announcement thread and not meant to raise feature requests.
The creation of folders on the webserver to organize pics has been requested quite often already. We believe in minimal changes there, as every change, every creation of directories will lead into issues for some users who didn't CHMOD properly in the first place or who have server setup issues. Additionally, it won't work with safe mode (when badly configured, as seen on many webhosts) - that's why coppermine has the "Silly_Safe_Mode" toggle.
After all, the human doesn't need to keep track of folders on the webserver: that's what coppermine is good for: it keeps track of files on the webserver for the user.

Joachim

donnoman

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • From donovanbray.com
    • Donovan Bray
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 04:22:40 am »

I don't totally disagree.. sort of I guess I do.

We maintain directory structures under userpics based on userid, I don't see the difference maintaining a structure in albums.

Also Coppermine IS an excellent front end for creating collections of images. But if the images all end up in one directory it makes it much more difficult than it needs to be to use those images for anything else. IE: maybe you just want to burn a set of categories to CD.

There ARE other problems with maintaining alb/cat structure, like legal directory structures that are illegal in coppermines cat/alb structure. However any coppermine cat/alb structure can be emulated on disk, and that organization and ability to collect add and move images around could be harnessed and used for other purposes than just displaying images to John Q. Public.

I don't think we should entirely dismiss the idea. However I don't think it should be discussed for 1.5. I think this would be a 2.0 discussion.

eric168

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 04:19:19 am »

I think that you may misunderstand my meaning .

The sub catalogue that I point is that the user can set up sub catalogue in the catalogue on the webpage.

For example, such as User --> eric --> 2005 --> January

Thanks all !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 19 queries.