Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plugin "Link Target" for cpg1.4.x: open external links in new windows  (Read 28938 times)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de

Plugins for the Coppermine Photo Gallery are add-ons that use the plugin interface of Coppermine.
Read up the documentation that comes with Coppermine to find out more, e.g. how to install a plugin.

Coppermine version: cpg1.4.x
Plugin name: Link Target
Plugin version: 1.0
Plugin author: Joachim Müller (GauGau)

Link Target (link_target)
Changes the way external links are being opened: when this plugin is enabled, all links that contain the attribute rel="external" will open in a new window (instead of the same window). This has the same effect as the use of the target="_blank" attribute, but it will not render your HTML output invalid.
This plugin has an impact mostly on the "Powered by Coppermine" link at the bottom of the gallery output. It is strongly recommended NOT to use the deprecated target attribute for links any longer, as suggested in the article "New-Window Links in a Standards-Compliant World" (http://www.sitepoint.com/article/standards-compliant-world/) by Kevin Yank.
The Coppermine dev team recommends NOT to use this plugin: opening links in a new window means bossing around your site visitors. All of them are aware how to open a link in a new window or browser tab if they want to: you should respect their decision and leave the decision to them if they want to leave your page for good.
We suggest to think twice before enabling this little plugin: you will lose visitors who don't like to be forced to open links in new windows, and you will confuse complete newbies.

This plugin for cpg1.4.x is a backport of the corresponding plugin for cpg1.5.x that will probably ship with cpg1.5.x out of the box.

Download plugin "Link Target" for cpg1.4.x

Please note that I will not support this plugin nor do I suggest or encourage you to use it. I'm merely providing it as a courtesy to those who still think it's a good idea to open links in new windows as if you were using the attribute target="_blank". Personally, I'm convinced that it's a bad idea to open links in new windows.

Joachim
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 03:43:38 pm by Joachim Müller »

stuffdone1

• Coppermine newbie
    • Web Design and Hosting since 1995
Re: Plugin "Link Target" for cpg1.4.x: open external links in new windows
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:42:26 pm »

Fact is, the rel=  is not working properly. I can see that in the source of the page however when the link is clicked it replaces my page rather than opening a new window. I am using Firefox.  The results need to be browser independent so I don't care if it does work in IE or some other browser. If it does not work in Firefox I want to fix it.

Back to the same question since the "new" standard is more complex and not reliable I still want to replace that with a "target" attribute.  I don't want someone to keep telling me something when I know it is not working as expected. I want to use what I know does work and does not require javascript etc.

I just want to replace rel= with target=

That is the question I am asking. If no one is able to answer the question I am asking please don't keep sending me to other stuff that is not related to my specific question which is how do I change the re= tag to target= tag.

Regardless of changes in standards...sometimes people want to fix things that are not broken in the first place. Target does and always has worked fine. Does not require java script and browsers know what to do with the tag. ( opinion after 13 years web developing )

Thanks again.

;D
==================================================
Have a nice day.

stuffdone1

• Coppermine newbie
    • Web Design and Hosting since 1995
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:48:27 pm »

A note:

I am trying to retain the copyright out of respect for Coppermine because it is a great gallery--the best.

I know I can hide the link entirely with the style sheet but that is not my intention or preference.

I just want it to open in a new window without extra scripts and plug ins by simply editing the link to replace "rel=" with "target="

It is as simple as that. If anyone here knows the code they have to know where the link resides.

Where?
Have a nice day.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:04:09 pm »

This is the third thread you try to hijack with your issues. I am not going to tolerate your behaviour any longer. And no, I will not tell you wher the footer link is generated, for obvious reasons. Butt out of this thread with unrelated stuff. If you have issues with the plugin discussed here, post a link to your gallery for a start.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.