Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.46 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter recently discovered vulnerabilities. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.44 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with danish language and keywords  (Read 5751 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TerraNaut

  • Coppermine newbie
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • TerraNaut
Problems with danish language and keywords
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:41:39 pm »

Hi,

I've got this problem with my keywords. Because my gallery is in both english and danish i use both languages for my keywords (ie. 'horse' and 'hest') for my pictures.

Because the danish language have 3 characters which are speciel ( ) my keywords don't work.

Example:

The picture http://www.terranaut.dk/billeder/displayimage.php?pos=-6233 have the keyword 'rg' (which means smoke) but if I make a common search of it using 'rg' it won't show up. In the keyword list it has been changed to 'rg' ( http://www.terranaut.dk/billeder/search.php ). Now comes the funny part. If I log on as administrator and check the keyword list - it's spelled 'rg'?

Any idea how to fix this? I've tried to set my gallery to both english and danish (also the character setting) but with no luck. I've have just upgraded to the stable version 1.4.19

I've noticed the problem when I started to use the keywords in a larger scale, so I presume that the problem/challenge have been there all the time.

Thanks TerraNaut
Logged

Joachim Mller

  • Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 47844
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Re: Problems with danish language and keywords
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:00:32 am »

Well, you tampered with the encoding of coppermine, which is baaaad. By default, coppermine uses utf-8 encoding for very good reasons. Keeping that encoding is recommended unless you really know what you're doing (see documentation). In fact, I can't really think of any reason to use another encoding than utf-8 at all. You asked for problems by switching the encoding from utf-8 to is8859-1, which was a silly move. You ignored all warnings in the docs. Now the textual content of your database is iso8859-1 driven and not in utf-8, so you can't easily go back by just changing the encoding settings in coppermine's config. What you will need to do is convert your textual content in your database to unicode. This has been discussed previously, please search the forum for previous discussions.
Logged

TerraNaut

  • Coppermine newbie
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • TerraNaut
Re: Problems with danish language and keywords
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:37:17 am »

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for the fast reply and the solution. Hmmm, I must have changed the encoding years ago... Nevertheless it seems to work. All I have to do is to change the three speciel characters (which now are boxes) to the correct danish character. It will take some time, but I'm going through all my keywords anyway so its okay (and the characters are not so common after all).
Logged

TerraNaut

  • Coppermine newbie
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18
    • TerraNaut
Re: Problems with danish language and keywords
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:02:23 pm »

Just for the information - this problem is solved, so the thread can be closed with the tag [Solved]  :)
Logged

Joachim Mller

  • Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 47844
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
 

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.