Advanced search  

News:

CPG Release 1.6.26
Correct PHP8.2 issues with user and language managers.
Additional fixes for PHP 8.2
Correct PHP8 error with SMF 2.0 bridge.
Correct IPTC supplimental category parsing.
Download and info HERE

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Closed]: Albums A-Z?  (Read 8047 times)

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
[Closed]: Albums A-Z?
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

I would like to configure my coppermine like this:

When pressing Album List the letters A-Z should be displayed in the main frame. Then the user choose between these letters to come to an album list where all the pictures beginning with that letter are displayed. Is this possible to program?

So far:
Iv'e started out with categories A-Z, but they're lined up downwards. Can I get them like this?

A B C D E F G H I
J K L M N O P Q R
S T U V X Y Z

Under each letter the user should be able to create a new album or enter an existing one. As of right now, a user can't create a new album. Why? And how do I get rid of the thumbnails when entering a category? I only want thumbnails when entering the album.

Basically, if I want to structure the menus the way I want it, how do I change it? For example, if I want A-Z directly in the submenu to the left?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:21:51 pm by Joachim Müller »

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
Re: Albums A-Z?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:03:26 pm »

I've tried to edit the $template_album_list section in the themes.php but it only changes the Album List. I want to change the Category List, but can't find any reference to that in themes.php. How do I change the Categories?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 07:01:12 pm »

What you're up to currently isn't possible, as users can not create albums within public categories.
The alphabetic sorting could be done using corresponding category names, but the rest (as I said) is impossible to do, sorry.

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 08:13:30 pm »

Well, it must be possible, but I'll have to program it myself then. :) Would that be a lot of programming? Difficult?

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:44 pm »

One possibility is that I add the about 5 000 albums I plan to have by pasting the names of them into a database or something. Is that a better idea?

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
Experts: Can Coppermine handle this?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:42:23 pm »

I have a few general questions.

1. I plan to build a website where users should be able to upload their own photos, add comments to them with the possibility of others adding comments. The forum should be very open, by that I mean that guests should be able to upload and there will be no private albums, only public albums for everybody to see. The categories are the letters A-Z with every letter having around 200-300 albums (no thumbnails when entering a category, only the names of the albums). The absolute total of albums on the entire site might reach a maximum of around 5 000, and the total amount of pictures on the entire site might be a maximum of 500 000. Banners and Google AdWords should be able to add. (I've already accomplished to add a banner, so it doesn't seem too hard, but then some code for counting etc, haven't worked with banners before). Best case traffic scenario might be up to 150 Gb/month. Okay, I'm aware this might sound very ambitious and perhaps over-enthusiastic, but I'd rather not find out later that I have to change engine just because the one I'm using can't handle the above. Basically we're talking much data transferring and multiple users (hundreds?) working at the same time.

2. Can Coppermine handle the above in the first place or will it be too slow or any similair problem?

3. If any expert here see some major problems with the above, can you recommend any other webgallery-CMS, or should I program everything by myself? Basically: How do I best accomplish the above in (1)? I think it could take some time to program it by myself, having worked with HTML, CSS etc but not with php, the best would be to start with an engine and then re-construct it after my needs.

4. Later, I might plan to add a webshop. Would it be easy to “bridge”? (Perhaphs I could just add a link to a shop I build on another domain to skip this step? Users have to register again of course...)

Regards,

Nick

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:08:44 am »

Your users won't able able to create their albums. If you're fine that they won't have this privilege, you could come up with a custom script to create the category and album structure. I can't tell you how easy or hard this will get, as this depends on your skill level. However, I strongly want to warn you: having a pre-made structure like that with thousands of albums that are empty, it will be very frustrating for your users to actually view your gallery in the first place, so I don't think that your visitors will accept that. Instead, I suggest start with a number of albums where your users can upload to. If your gallery grows, create more categories and albums and move your content as needed.

Starting another thread with an identical request was uncalled for, so I merged your new thread with the existing one.
Coppermine is not a forum btw.

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:05 am »

Ok, I could start out with much less albums and then have the users e-mail me if they want another album.

But it must be possible someway to have the users create their own albums? "Just" a matter of programming. :)

What I wrote is basically what I need, nothing more or less. Perhaps it might be possible to do by myself with php? Of course, the security questions and registering might be more complicated etc... perhaps finding that code on the net is possible?

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:17:38 am »

You can set up coppermine to allow users to create albums of their own, but they can only do so within their user gallery section, not within the admin-created public galleries. This is being explained in the documentation and countless postings on this board. You're of course welcome to come up with code that changes this limitation, but don't expect any support on this, as it can't be accomplished easily.

Ok, I could start out with much less albums and then have the users e-mail me if they want another album.
Sounds like a silly option in my opinion - allow users to upload their pics and move them as you (as admin) see fit.

But it must be possible someway to have the users create their own albums? "Just" a matter of programming. :)
Yeah, "just" that. Code it if you want and have the skills ::).

perhaps finding that code on the net is possible?
Since it's not a trivial task I don't think that you will find simple instructions anywhere on the net. You could backport that feature from cpg1.5.x if you have the skills to do so, but as I suggested above: you'll have to do this on your own - it goes unsupported.

nicky9

• Coppermine newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 10:32:52 am »

"You can set up coppermine to allow users to create albums of their own, but they can only do so within their user gallery section, not within the admin-created public galleries. This is being explained in the documentation and countless postings on this board. You're of course welcome to come up with code that changes this limitation, but don't expect any support on this, as it can't be accomplished easily."

I've understood that users can only create their own albums. I've understood that.

Quote from: nicky9 on Today at 09:59:05 AM
Sounds like a silly option in my opinion - allow users to upload their pics and move them as you (as admin) see fit.

I was talking about them e-mailing me, then I create an album, then they upload. No user albums at all.

But it must be possible someway to have the users create their own albums? "Just" a matter of programming.
Yeah, "just" that. Code it if you want and have the skills .

My comment: Man has visited the moon.

perhaps finding that code on the net is possible?

Since it's not a trivial task I don't think that you will find simple instructions anywhere on the net. You could backport that feature from cpg1.5.x if you have the skills to do so, but as I suggested above: you'll have to do this on your own - it goes unsupported.

Here a starter:
http://www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/php_file_upload.php

I think I might try to code some by myself and see what happens. If it's not working out I'll have to try something else, perhaps coppermine.

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:21:41 pm »

That tutorial is utter crap (as it requires register_globals=on), so I wouldn't trust the creator any further than I could spit a dead rat. You're welcome to use it if you want to see your site hacked in no time. Maybe you even manage to get it secured properly, which will make it just a file upload script - it won't do anything in terms of adding reference to the uploaded file to coppermine's database. Things are not that simple.
Anyway, I'm not ready to discuss this in detail, as the scope of this board certainly is not to teach you coding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.