Advanced search  

News:

cpg1.5.48 Security release - upgrade mandatory!
The Coppermine development team is releasing a security update for Coppermine in order to counter a recently discovered vulnerability. It is important that all users who run version cpg1.5.46 or older update to this latest version as soon as possible.
[more]

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About this sub-board (read first!)  (Read 21999 times)

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
About this sub-board (read first!)
« on: August 22, 2006, 06:17:46 am »

Vuud has created a mod called "cpmFetch" that allows you to display content taken from coppermine on non-coppermine driven pages (e.g. your website's front page).
As it has become widely popular, we decided to start this sub-board. However, you have to understand that the features of the cpmFetch are not part of coppermine's core functionality, so this is in fact a modification. Usually, modifications only go supported (if at all) on the thread that announces them in the first place. The mod cpmFetch is an exception to this rule (just because of the sheer amount of support requests that used to reside in one huge thread).
It's mandatory though that you only ask questions on this sub-board that actually deal with the cpmFetch; do not ask questions that belong to coppermine core features.
The "one issue per thread" policy applies to this sub-board as well.
Do not reply to this thread to ask for support though - start your own thread instead.

In the past, there have been only some threads on the mods board that dealt with cpmFetch, where everyone was supossed to reply. Subsequently, the threads got very long and hard to read for others. Those "monster-threads" got moved here into this support board for reference, but were locked to stop users from replying to it. If you came here to look for support, start your own thread after having read the documentation and sticky threads.

Joachim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 02:12:38 am by vuud »

vuud

• Coppermine addict
  • [cpmfetch.fistfullofcode.com]
    • Fist Full Of Code
Re: About this sub-board (read first!)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 10:34:25 pm »

Some quick notes:

Please try to create new threads with a descriptive title.  For example, if you are having a problem with images appearing with blue borders please note it so.  For that problem for example:

GOOD TITLE

Problem getting rid of blue boxes around images

or

How do I get rid of blue boxes around the images

BAD TITLE

Why wont this work?

or

Can someone help me?

or

Errors

I reserve the right (if I can do that) to edit the titles on postings that don't describe a problem.  The point of the forum is to allow others to see solutions without having to ask and wait.

ALSO, I will be marking things that I want to do in the future with the marker "Follow-up" and changing them to solved or something when that feature becomes available.

Otherwise, thanks for using CpmFetch and Coppermine Photo Gallery

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:20:05 pm by vuud »
Please post for help to the forum... PM me only if you are sending security related items (passwords, security problems, etc).

cpmFetch - Images, RSS feeds from CPG from outside CPG
New release notification signup also. 
See http://cpmfetch.fistfullofco

Joachim Müller

• Dev Team member
  • Coppermine addict
  • aka "GauGau"
    • gaugau.de
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 10:09:13 pm »

Obviously, subject lines like "I'm having issues with cpmFetch" fall into the "Bad Title" category, especially on a sub-board that is dedicated to cpmFetch only. Sounds silly? Nobody would be doing that? Guess again.

vuud

• Coppermine addict
  • [cpmfetch.fistfullofcode.com]
    • Fist Full Of Code
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:19:12 pm »

Tips for asking for help

Here is some advice for posting here.  Note - not a single person here gets paid or compensated in anything but karma for helping.  This is not anyones job and you as the receiver of completely free (and in the case of CPG - very cool) software are owed NOTHING.  Nada. Zilch. Zero.

That being said, lots of people like to help.  In my years as a developer and end-user I have come up with two major rules to getting yourself good free support:

• Make it as easy as possible for people to help - include all the relevant info you can think of.  If you are not sure if its needed, include it anyway.
  • Prove your research / show your work - List what you have tried, what you have read.  Include the examples of code.  Show that you put in some effort to fix this yourself.

Speaking for myself I will go to great lengths to help someone who is trying.  Some people have no idea, but they try and try.  Other people don't bother, but post a question without trying.  This thread http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php?topic=35646.0 is a great example of someone who clearly spent time trying to solve a problem.  The thread does not cover the elaborate test pages he forwarded to me to try to solve the problem. 

Steps to a happy online experience

First: Do some research.
Check the readme that came with your version, or look at them online off the cpmfetch.fistfullofcode.com web site.  Then, try a search of the coppermine-gallery.net forums.  For fun, you could also do a google search.

Second: Make sure you have the latest version.
I tend to release versions as often as needed to fix bugs. Yours may have been fixed. Check the online readme file for the most recent changes.  If a new stable version is due out soon, you may be advised to move to a development version.

Third: Add this to the top of your php page (Warning: does not apply to cfimageget.php)
This will force your php installation to generate error messages. Servers suppress errors to different degrees.

Code: [Select]
<?php error_reporting(E_ALL); ini_set('display_errors',1); ?>
Things to include in a cry for help:

* The Exact error message.  "I get an error about something..." - Copy and paste
    * What version of coppermine you are using
    * What version of CoppermineFetch you are using
    * A link to your website and gallery
    * A link to an example of the problem (if possible)
    * How computer savvy you are (newbie, intermediate, damn good)
    * What kind of web server you are running on (if known)
    * Include the code you are using.

Include anything that makes your situation unique.  Believe it or not, we do test the software - so when it breaks, sometimes it is because you are doing something we did not forsee (not bad, just not thought of).  These are most important to include:

Examples:
  • Bridiging
  • Different domains, gallery on one, cpmfetch on another
  • Modifications to cpg

Please post for help to the forum... PM me only if you are sending security related items (passwords, security problems, etc).

cpmFetch - Images, RSS feeds from CPG from outside CPG
New release notification signup also. 
See http://cpmfetch.fistfullofco
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.